Re: [OM] Film Scanning (Digital for use of)

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Scanning (Digital for use of)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 05:58:43 -0500
At 09:49 AM 7/8/99 +0100, David Low wrote:
>have been 1/2 heartedly following the digital discussion on this group,
and have 3
>questions..........
>
>a) Film scanning. is a technique mentioned more than once. What is this..
(ie scan
>negs via flatbed scanner?).

Not via flatbed scanner but via dedicated film scanner.  The Photosmart
scanner is sort of a combination type in that it can scan prints up to 5x7
I believe. But one wants a machine that can scan the film itself.

>b) Kodak Uk offer a service to produce cd-rom images of any film sent in for
>processing, which costs circa £9.00 per roll, is it any good?, anyone
played with it.

Yes, this is a very good service.  Unless you plan to scan a great deal of
film and/or require the convenience of having a film scanner among your
available implements, it's a very good way to go.  I've had about 100
slides scanned by Kodak.  They return your film with scans in 4 different
resolutions per shot.  I think it is very cost effective given the price of
a film scanner which can actually compete with what Kodak can do. (But of
course in my case I just had to have my own scanner...)

>c) A Few months back, I read an article in the uk photographic press about a
>development to replace the film cartridge with a device including a CCD
and storage
>device intended for slotting into the back of any 35mm SLR. The whole
prototype device
>was shown in a standard Canon EOS slr, and no mods necessary to the camera
body.
>Anyone lnow where this got to in development?.

You can try http://www.imagek.com for the latest on this.  The guts are
some kind of CMOS device rather than CCD.  Gains in resolution among the
P&S type digital cameras have tended to outpace what Imagek wants to put
out there, so they appear to be forever putting off their roll-out date.

I have heard also that another company, and perhaps it is Kodak, is looking
into this kind of bridge technology.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA