Re: [OM] Time Exposure with the OM2000

Subject: Re: [OM] Time Exposure with the OM2000
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 08:58:00 -0700
Tomoko, Rand;

I received my brand spanking new OM-2000 zoom kit from John H just 2
days ago. I have several impressions about the product:

* I like the fact that the spot mode can be turned on and left on, ala
OM-2Sp.
* I don't like that I have to keep the shutter button pressed to meter.
It's quite kludgy to try to adjust aperture (even tougher to adjust
shutter) while keeping the button pressed, **and** not pressing it too
much that you accidentally take a shot.  And it is very easy to do that.
* I love the light weight.
* I even kinda like the never-ready case that comes in the kit.
* I don't like the plasticky sound of the self-timer lever.
* I don't like the Nikon-derived rewind button on the bottom plate and
wind-lever on/off switch.
* I like the simplicity of operation. I'll probably use it in
'shutter-priority mode'.  Ie- set speed I want, adjust aperture to get
the green light, or a bit over or under if desired.
* I like the lightness and close-focus of the 35-70 zoom. I doubt I'll
be making any 16 x 20 Cibas from it's slides, however.
* I like the battery holder.
* I don't like the plastic threads on the battery holder.
* I like the little grip shape of the right side of the body.
* I like the look of the camera. The bronzy color is tough.
* Finally I **really** like the multiple-exposure feature.  It's easy to
use and the exposure counter does **not** advance when you use it, so
you always know how many exposures you've taken.

***Now*** as to your original point, mine does that too.  And, yeah,
it'll be quite nice to be able to take time exposures without searching
for a cable release. I think it'll be necessary to use the 'black-hat'
shutter techniqe though, as fooling with the lever will definitely shake
the camera. Lastly and unfortunately , you will need to remove the
batteries before any time exposures as the LEDs stay lit on B (stupid!)
when the shutter is pressed.  This will: fog the film; wear down the
batteries.  Course, the battery holder makes it very convenient to do
that, but the plastic threads increase the likelyhood that I'll
cross-thread and ruin the thing putting it back - especially in the
dark.

George