Re: [OM] Tamron Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron Question
From: "Graeme Arlidge" <server@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:30:28 +0000
Orignal text:
> I am aware that SOME Tamron lenses are 'SP' lenses, and I know that stands
> for 'super performance'. But that doesn't mean much to me at the moment.
> What did Tamron DO to make it super performance, and is this a good thing,
> bad thing, or of no consequence.
>
> Second, is there some point in time that this SP happened to (which?)
> Tamron lenses? For instance, there are Tamron 90mm macros that are SP and
> some don't mention this. It occurred to me that they might ALL be SP
> lenses, and that some folks/businesses like to mention this and others not.
> Or are there both SP and non-SP versions of the same 90mm macro?
> Chris
My understanding, Chris, was that SP originally stood for "Special
Performance" and indicated that the lens incorporated special
technology of some kind - whether it be special close focus
performance or large maximum aperture etc.  At the time Tamron seemed
to have 3 ranges of lenses.  Fixed mount, Standard Adaptall and the "
SP" Adaptall range with the fixed mount units being the economy
range.  As far as I'm aware all the 90 mm lenses were SP.  The other
commonly encountered ones of the early 80's were the 35-80 and 70-210
SP zooms and the SP flat field converters.  The SP series lenses wre
significantly more expensive than the standard adaptall range and I
think were designed to compete with the name camera brand lens
ranges.  I have a 35-80 SP and it is an excellent performer,
particularly in macro,  though with somewhat more distortion than
today's offerings.  Regards

Graeme