Re: [OM] microscope adapter

Subject: Re: [OM] microscope adapter
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 07:15:19 -0400
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 03:48:05 +0200
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hans told the Snappy Cheakerwhipper:

>Another method, btw, is just to remove the microscope eyepiece and aim your
>>lens in the tube. This gives a circular image.

To which I add:  You could also try focusing the microscope for your eye
and leave the eyepiece in place.  Then set the camera lens to infinity
and place the camera lens almost in contact with the eyepiece.

Assuming that your focusing eye is reasonably good, when the microscope
is focused, the emerging light beam is composed of parallel rays...
which is to say that the image appears to the eye to be at infinity.
That's why you pre-focus the camera at infinity.

I've never tried this with a microscope (since I don't have one) but it
works with telescopes and the principle is the same.  You can even get
pretty good results using a rangefinder which is all I had 30+ years ago
when I first tried this.  With the SLR you should be able to touch up
the focus.

It's cheap.  The biggest problem will be trying to figure out how to
support the camera.

ps:  One would expect to find everything required for microscopy from
Olympus since Oly is a big time producer of microscopes.  I suspect that
they make much more money on scopes than on cameras.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts