Re: [OM] Sunny 16?

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunny 16?
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:50:43 +0100
At 22:14 21/06/99 +0200, you wrote:
>I've seen the term "sunny 16" various times. Maybe I'm totally ignorant, but
>was does it mean exactly?
>
>Does this refer to a reference to a light reading of 1/125th sec. (if memory
>serves me right) at an aperture of 16 on a very sunny day (I think I've read
>this somewhere) ?!?
>
>If this is way off base, then please could someone explain what it is
>exactly?
>
>Cheers!
>Olafo

You're very close - it's actually 1/ASA at f/16 where ASA is the film speed
in use.  I was on a Zone System workshop recently, and we were shown to
take spotmeter readings and work out a correct exposure based on the
results.  Guess what?  It was a sunny day, and all that effort worked out
to exactly the same result as obtained by the sunny 16 rule!

There's a similar rule for pix by full moonlight, called the Loony f/4
rule.  Use f/4 and set an exposure of 1/ASA in *days*.  For 100ASA film
this works out as 1/100 days or fifteen minutes :-)

Cheers
Richard
Richard Ross
Hemel Hempstead, England