Re: [OM] Q: opinions wanted on 500mm mirror lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Q: opinions wanted on 500mm mirror lenses
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:15:56 EDT

> I am looking to buy one....my Zuiko 500 that I inherited from my father
>  was ripped off in a buglary, and I don't want to spring the $400 for
>  another one used.  I'd like to pay around $200-250.

So would I but I haven't seen one around that price. Please pick up one for
me if you see two.

>  This folded mirror
>  design has been around for a while....I think the Russians produced it
>  first.  Anyway, there's a whole bunch of after-market makers....and I
>  know some of them use a (shudder) plastic mirror blank (Cambron?).  I'm
>  somewhat partial to Tamron, and I see that in one review Vivitar got
>  badly panned.  So....on Ebay I see: Vivitar, Samyung, Tamron, Rubinor,
>  Quantaray, Spiratone(!), even one of the old Russian ones (Tmount?) and
>  I'm sure there's others.
>
>  Comments?

I have a Tamron now and its very capable of producing sharp 8x10s. I used to
have a Spiratone that came in a nice velvet lines birch box. I recall that it
also produced OK pics although my technique (if you can call it that) was
negligible.  I also have a Samyang which I will send to you for the shipping
costs-absolutely terrible. Please see Hawkins' site for mirror lens tests:
http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.html
Nothing really comes close to the Zuiko as far as performance is concerned at
500mm.

Warren