[OM] OM1 + 200/f4

Subject: [OM] OM1 + 200/f4
From: Gilbs <gilbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 19:23:38 +0000
I've just been out to see Concorde take off from Exeter Airport, quite an event
in these parts :)  It's a beautiful aircraft, very impressive taking off, so
naturally I grabbed a camera.  It called for long Zuikos, so I packed my two
longest, the 70-150 zoom & the 200/f4.  Mindful of recent tests, I left the
OM1n behind, in favour of the OM4, with winder 2 attached.  I found a good spot
outside the airport fence, and got some shots of the plane just prior to take
off.  The counter showed 18, plenty left, so I took several more shots as it
taxied to the runway.  It stopped, and I took several more shots of it's rear,
which looked good through the heat haze of the engines.  Then I noticed the
winder was making strange noises, I hadn't noticed this before because of the
engine noise.  The counter showed 25.  I tried to move the rewind crank  It
didn't!  I had run out of film & the plane was still on the ground!! DOH!!!
Luckily I managed to bluff my way through the takeoff, so the instamatic armed
massses around me didn't notice!  Yes, of course, the OM4 had a 24 exp film in,
whilst my jack hammer of an OM1 sat on the shelf at home with a 36 exp.  I
remember now!!  Several lessons can be learned from this, I feel:
1) ALWAYS have spare film with you, or a loaded spare body.
2) ALWAYS put the film box end in the memo holder, if your Oly back has one.
3) Good advice from the members of this list in no way make up for sheer
incompetance!
4) My 200/f4 was not long enough anyway, I need a 400/f6.3, or perhaps a
600/f6.5 would be better, no wait, what about the 1000/f11, now THAT will come
in handy, there's the Eclipse in August..........

Andy Gilbert
c/o The Homer Simpson School of Photography
Exeter
Devon
England
gilbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx