[OM] Olympus in print

Subject: [OM] Olympus in print
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:18:05 EDT
        My most recent trip to my area Barnes and Noble Booksellers was very
pleasant  from an Olympus standpoint.
        My usual browse through the photography section revealed a National
Geographic large size hardcover book titled - "National Geographic The
Photographs". Prominently occupying a two page spread ( pages 6 and 7 ) was
the aerial shot of the L-1011 on landing. (1977). It was really neat seeing
it in such a large size. The caption also surprised me- it said TWO cameras
were mounted in the tail, controlled from the cockpit. This was news to me.
So, if I recall correctly, there was some discussion here where people came
up with two different focal length lenses attributed to the shot. Maybe both
size lenses were carried, one on each body.

        Then I checked out the photo magazines, since this is the only place
near me that carries magazines from countries other than the U.S. In the June
99 issue of Practical Photography (British), the OM-2 S/P is prominently
mentioned twice- once in a question about battery drain, which is answered
honestly by the mag; and also in an  article "Bargain Hunting" Used SLR
Comparison Test. Three AF ( Canon EOS 50E, Minolta Dynax 8000i, Nikon F-601,
two manual bodies- Contax 137MA and Olympus OM-2 S/P) were bought , examined,
and tested. The magazine star rated each for "value for money" and the OM did
well, finishing just a smidgeon behind the Minolta and Nikon, but well behind
the Canon. The Contax scored far behind the Olympus.
It did seem just a bit unfair, since the Canon was introduced ten years after
the Olympus (1995) and is still a current model. Interesting reading,
nonetheless.
If nothing else, it shows that there ARE Olympus enthusiasts out there.

Regards,
George S.