[OM] Late and probably irrelavent, for sale, and about me

Subject: [OM] Late and probably irrelavent, for sale, and about me
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:15:58 EDT
Several weeks ago there was a lot of correspondence about the L-1011 with Oly
cameras mounted on the planes tail. Last night I was sorting through books I
bought at Half Price Books and found the article that described how the shot
was made. Specifically, the article says Olympus cameras on automatic with
the 250-frame film magazine and motor drive housed in a sturdy box with the
16 mm fish eye lens protruding out the front. Previous postings mentioned an
18 and 24 as the lens used, but looking at the photo of the cameras mounted
on the planes tail does look like the 16. For those interested, the NGS book
is entitled, " Images of the World," and was published in 1981. There were
405,000 copies made so it should be easy to find. The article is entitled, "
Catching an Airliner by the Tail," and is on pages 180-184. The article shows
the cameras mounted on the tail and has several pages of text by Bruce Dale,
the photographer. I paid $5.00 for the book. If this info has already
appeared, I apologize.
Last week I advertised a Lowe Pro Trim Trekker bag for $80.00 and got zero
response. OK, new price of $65.00 and I will still pay next day air shipping
charges in the continental US. ( My wife works for a shipper so I can
ship for next to nothing)
And finally, about me. I've been an Olympus user for 20 years and only once
ever considered changing brands. My first Oly was an OM 10 purchased in 1979
and since that time I have accumulated a large selection of lenses and
bodies. In 1995, the selection was even larger than today and what a foolish
mistake I made when I decided to sell off unneeded or unused gear. What did I
sell? A black 350 F2.8 with a serial number lower than xxxx40 and a 40 mm.
Since that time, I've gotten active again shooting sports (track and field,
basketball, and softball) and the 350 has been replaced with a Tamron 400
F4.0. My decision to sell was based on the assumption (wrongly, fortunately)
that the OM system would be discontinued by 1998 and that I had better sell
high dollar items before that happened. Anyway, it's 1999, the OM System is
still being sold, and I intend to stay with Olympus for many years.
Gary Faulkenberry