Re: [OM] bayonet cap for OM1

Subject: Re: [OM] bayonet cap for OM1
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 08:35:15 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 23:44, Robinsnes@xxxxxxx wrote:
>I am in need of one of the small bayonet caps that fits over the gears at the
>bottom of the OM1. I don't know what the cap is called, but I lost one and
>John says that they are no longer available. I don't care whether it is black
>or silver, scratched or virgin. Olympus says that stray light could enter
>through this opening if the cap is not on. What do others use if they also
>have lost the cap? Tape seems rather crude.

The MD coupling caps are indeed difficult to find, but others on the list
have managed to find them hidden inside used winders.  So if you can look
inside a used winder, you may be able to find one (though I personally
have never seen one inside a used winder).

As to what to do if you cannot find a cap, you could get a junk winder
and attach it to the camera.  It is not as compact as a cap, but it does
block any light from entering the camera.  It also adds a nice grab
handle, and others have mentioned that it helps to balance the camera.
Junk winders are probably easier to find (and cheaper) than the caps.

Another option is to invest in a (N)ever-Ready case.  They cost about
$10, and provide additional protection to the body.  The drawback is that
you must take it off every time you need to change film.
        -Dan