[OM] Age Data was Non-OM, Non-NG

Subject: [OM] Age Data was Non-OM, Non-NG
From: Andy Gilbert <a.gilbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 23:46:17 +0000
My name is Andy & I'm a Zuikoholic. I'm 40, and I first got into Olympus when I
bought an OM1MD with 35/f2 in 1978. I soon added a 24/f2.8 & 75-150 zoom. I was
well hooked by now & much of my early 20's was so recorded.  Later additions
were a Motor Drive 1, a QA 310 & Bounce Grip. Oh, and an OM2.  This all served
me well until 1985, when after a lull in my photography, & pressure from my
fiance for  money I sold it all.  Madness I know.  She dumped me shortly
afterwards, which turned out to be a lucky escape, but soured my interest in
photography for the next ten years.  It was rekindled by my wife (an altogether
nicer lady!) who decided she needed a new camera for our impending holiday to
Ireland.  And she chose??? An Olympus Mu Zoom!!  (Stylus to some of you)
  Well, Ireland was wonderful, and I started to take photographs again.  About
5 rolls in 2 weeks, and yes, the mu is a great camera.  If I feel the need for
autofocus, built in winder, built in flash, zoom lens as standard, it's the one
I reach for.  However, as my wife keeps pointing out, it isn't actually mine!
I had to have another camera, & it had to be an Olympus.
  I was disappointed to discover I couldn't buy a new OM1 anymore, nor could I
afford a OM3/4Ti.  After much deliberation I saw secondhand was the only way to
go, and bought an OM4. Apart from it's appetite for batteries I love it, and
over the past few years I have bought lots of friends for it.  I now have these
 lenses: 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/2.8, 200/4, plus 35-70/4 &
70-150/4 zooms.  Then there's a T32 flash & Bounce Grip 2, a Winder 2, &
assorted odds & ends, such as an OM1n body.
  Buying secondhand has enabled me to buy a whole outfit for less than the
price of a new OM3Ti.  I have chosen everything carefully, looking for
bargains, but in good condition.  It's been fun buying, but more so using, the
best camera system ever
 made. My favourites? The absolute simplicity of the OM1, with the 35/2.8
attached.
  I've been reading the list for a month now, it's great, thought I should
contribute. I think you'll agree I'm a Zuikoholic!

Andy Gilbert
Exeter, England
gilbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx