[OM] Lens variability

Subject: [OM] Lens variability
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 10:18:43 -0700
BBB wrote:

>A question that occurs tome with regard to lens tests is - just how
>much variability is there from lens to lens within the same model?
>i.e., if I were to test 3 or 4 of the same lens, how much variability
>should I expect.
>
>In particular, I was looking at the results for the 200/4 SC vs. the
>200/4 MC on the OM-1, and wondered how broadly one could generalize
>from these results.

Olympus is not exactly cottage industry. I am sure that they can
manufacture lenses with less variability than an individual without a lot
of high priced test equipment(read hundreds of thousands of dollars) and
very rigid procedures. That is why lens tests are largely fallacious,
including those that used to be published in magazines. But, sigh, I read
them too.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA