Re: [OM] Hiking in Buckskin Gulch

Subject: Re: [OM] Hiking in Buckskin Gulch
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 00:17:29 EDT

> I have always been fascinated by the Slot Canyons, but many of them are very
>  difficult to get into.  Is this one that a person can actually HIKE into
or
> does
>  it require rappeling, etc.?  If a hike, what is the degree of difficulty?
> What
>  would be a 'reasonable' amount of photo gear one would want to take in
there?

>  Thanks,
>  Mary

This one is quite easy to get into.  I did a bit of research and found the
best one I could easily segue from my office chair to hiking and Buckskin fit
the bill for this as well as beauty.  There was one 6 foot dry waterfall to
climb down (and then up on exit) and we had to wade through several pools of
mid-thigh deep water but other than that the bottom of the canyon is sandy or
gravel and quite flat--an easy hike. At about 5 miles from the trailhead
there is the "Cesspools" which is a longer pond of mid-chest water but we
never made it that far.  Another one that sounds easy to get into is Willis
Creek Narrows near Kodachrome Park.

A reasonable amount of photo equipment depends on how much you can carry on a
6-8 hour hike, which would obviously include a bit of lunch and 2 quarts of
drinking water (I was still dehydrated from an 11 hour hike the day before).
My C*n*n large backpack held an OM2s, OM4T, 16mm, 18mm, 28mm, 50/3.5 and
100/2.8, polarizer and a TIffen enhancing filter, 10 rolls of Velvia and 5 of
Pan F, and a Slik AF112 tripod.  The 28/2.8 followed by the 18/3.5 were the
most used lens. I also took a 24mm Minolta panorama (Freedom Vista) for C41
snaps.  BTW the lightweight tripod worked fine because most of the exposures
were 4 to 30 seconds and there was no wind to speak of.

Good luck

Warren