Re: [OM] looking for an affordable (used) 24mm shift

Subject: Re: [OM] looking for an affordable (used) 24mm shift
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 12:40:28 +0200
Welcome to the list Irvin.

You wrote:

>     I am new to the list and compiling pictures of old dairy barns and
> silo's in Virginia.  I have come to the conclusion that I need a shift lens
> to get the pictures I want and was hoping someone could steer me in the
> right direction.  Thanks!

If you could keep enough distance, you might not need an 24mm shift, an
35mm would do it also.

The focal lenght determines only how close you can get to frame a
certain object.
The relative gain of height or the power to make
perspective corrections is determined by the amount of lens shift in
relation to the film size.

For example, an 20m, 66ft tall building, you are standing in front of it
in ground level.  To take an photo of it there are two possibilities:

Holding lens and camera in level will avoid perspective distorsion, but
you have to keep an relativly long distance to the building and the building
will only fill (the upper) half of the picture frame.
Then you can aproach the building until the building fills out the whole frame
of your finder. This has the disadvantage, especialy with wide angle
lenses, that you have to tilt the lens for an considerable amount
resulting in noticeable perspective distorsion.

With an Zuiko shift lens you are able to shift the lens
for 12mm in vertical direction (less for the 24mm lens). With an picture
frame height of 24mm, there is an gain in virtual height, extension on top of
the
frame of 50%.
This means cutting up the uninterestting foreground and extending the frame
on the top, so you can get much closer and still holding the lens in level,
avoiding perspective distorsion.
In this example it´s like climbing on an 10m, 33ft high ladder and
taking the photo from the middle of the building.

Of course holding the camera in vertical format limits the relative gain
of heigth (36mm length and 10/8mm shift or 1/4 to 1/3 height gain).

It seems, that the 35mm Zuiko shift is a "better" shift lens than the
24mm version, because the amount of shift for the 35mm is bigger
(12/13mm to 10mm).
That´s theory, in practies you often want an shift lens, because you can
not keep enough distance to the object, building (otherwise you might
try an tele lens), so there is an need for an wider angle of view and
the 24mm has the widest angle available for an shift.

So you have to consider your needs: Can you keep an distance or do you
need an wider angle?

Regards

Richard