Re: [OM] Where does it all end (OM-1 shutter studders)

Subject: Re: [OM] Where does it all end (OM-1 shutter studders)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 08:34:05 -0500
At 11:13 PM 6/2/99 -0700, you wrote:

>       Was there ever a consensus on where the now famous (well
>at least to this list) problems of the OM's vibrations and the
>200/4 end?  The results look mostly at the OM-1 and 4Ti, what about
>the OM-2's? Or the 2-SP? Or the OM-4? Or the OM-2000?
>I had hoped that this is more of resonance problem that is limited
>to just the OM-1 and the 200/4 (like the tacoma narrows and wind :) ),
>but Gary's results of the 250/2 seem to indicate otherwise.
>
>       I do recall a positive post on the 2S, but not sure there
>was a conclusion.
>
>(Still waiting for to have enough disposable income for a 4Ti)
>
>-Sean

Sean,

The progress toward consensus, if that is possible, continues.  The
nervousness about the poor showing of the 200/f4 in Gary's tests led to
some testing for shutter vibration by Richard Schaetzl and then by me.
OM-1 looked to be more vulnerable to shutter movement than the OM-4 and
OM-2S.  Gary reshot the 200/f4 with his OM-4 and telephoto lens support and
showed it to be a sharp lens.  But this did not involve a reshoot of the
200 with OM-1 and telephoto lens support.  I had done some comparative
shooting with the 200 and OM-1 and OM-2S and got favorable comparable
results but not at the critical shutter speeds from 1/2 to 1/30.

Somewhere along this rocky road attention has shifted from the quality of
the lens, which now is less in doubt, to the synergy of camera and lens.

Additional laser tests indicate possible greater turbulence at the
aforementioned critical speeds with the OM-1 than OM-2S.  I've got some
slides going to the lab today comparing the two cameras shooting the 50/3.5
macro and 85-250/5 -- respectively, the lenses that produced the worst and
best comparative results in laser tests of the OM-1 and OM-2S.

So the short answer I believe is that the 200/f4 is a good lens.  The
hypothesis of the moment (on this side of the computer, that is) is that
there are various resonances in camera and lens combinations (not to
mention tripods, head, and all the other variables). We need to see how
these translate to film.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA