[OM] Aperture Prefire

Subject: [OM] Aperture Prefire
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:38:58 -0400
This morning as I ate my breakfast, I was looking at my Japanese Photo Accessory
catalog again and my eyes caught the word "tele extender".  This is an extended
camera mounting plate which can also support the telephoto lens with a tripod
collar.

I thought of all the discussions on the 250/2.8 results with the OM-1.
Basically the OM-1 results were poorer than the OM-4 results.  I assume that the
lens and camera support was identical with the two OM bodies.

I looked at the innards of the M-1 and the OM-4/T (since I have both) while
operating the self-timer/shutter release.  I don't know what you call a
spring-loaded small lever on the outside of the mirror box, but this lever is
the one which actuates the aperture diaphragm stop down.  Obviously with the
self-timer on the OM-4/T, this lever moves along with the mirror moving upward
while on the M-1 (OM-1), this lever moves about the same time when the shutter
opens.  Since in the OM-1 results the OM-1 itself was not supported, whatever
the result of the lever motion was not dampened.

As Gary's OM-1 seems to be a well used kind (I recall that he once said he was
not too worried about the state of foam in his OM-1), the spring may not be in
the top-notch condition. You can easily test it by using Joel Wilcox's OM-1.

If that does not do it, without the aperture prefire on the OM-1, the OM-1
itself may need to be supported with such a long lens as the 250/2.

I have to go since the sun is shining and the sky is clear.  Looking forward to
any discussions when I get back.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/