Re: [OM] Laser Tests on Various Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Laser Tests on Various Lenses
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 10:57:38 -0500
At 11:06 PM 5/31/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi Joel:
>
>I'm probably speaking for most in offering appreciation over how you spent
>your holiday.  Bloody good job.
>
>What this tells me is that a recently CLA'ed OM-1 body will still kick.
>Doesn't seem necessary to further test the hypothesis that it would be
>smoother than any of my OM-1(n) 's.
>
>Gary Reese
>Las Vegas, NV

Gary (and Foxy and Doris too),

Thanks for the kind remarks.

After this kind of testing I want to resist drawing hard-and-fast
conclusions until I see the differences on film. When I did this previously
only with the 200/f4, I followed up with some tests on film that showed (to
my satisfaction) that the 200/f4 is a good lens with either the OM-1 or a
later camera. The deficiency of those tests for pointing up any
difficulties with the cameras themselves was that I made no shots at the
really critical shutter speeds from 1/30 down to 1/2.  My shots were either
with flash or were very long exposures, both of which nullify
tripod-mounted vibration.  As I have thought about subjects with which to
test the 50/3.5 with OM-1 and OM-2S, I have realized that given the speed
of film and apertures I like to use and the time of day when it is quiet
enough to shoot flowers, etc., it is very rarely that I shoot in that
critical range. (Ken Norton made a comment about this several days ago.)  I
guess I'll have to try a wood fence or a fire hydrant!

Even if this is evidence that the OM-1 has some limitations as a tripod
mount, I think that Tomoko's remarks in another context about the viability
of the OM-1 as a handheld camera are right on.  Sunny 16, a winder, a short
zoom and life is good (your fantasies may vary).

I'm intrigued by the apparent synergy of a couple lenses and OM bodies --
the 35-105 and 85-250 -- WOW!  If this laser stuff imparts anything, it
should be the case that the OM-1 works as well as the OM-2S/4T with those
lenses.  I'll want to capture that on film if possible too.

And what about the apparent evidence that the "kick" of the OM-1 with
50/3.5 is mollified by NOT using MLU?  Am I wrong in thinking that one of
the most critical design issues of an SLR is mirror slap?  What if really
successful design involves a complex of nullifying harmonics among mirror
flip, aperture stopdown, and shutter fire?  One would think that it should!

If you change your mind, Gary, my OM-1 is still available. :)

Cheers,

Joel

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA