Re: [OM] Equipment case

Subject: Re: [OM] Equipment case
From: Chris Johns <lc-johns@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 10:11:44 -0500
>Roughly, the following is what I'm looking for:
>-Enough space to store either of the following options:
>Option 1: OM-4Ti (incl. databack 4), 35-70/4, 65-200/4, 24/2.8, 35/2.8
>shift, 1 or 2 filters, up to 6 rolls of film.
>Option 2: Same as option 1, plus: small (light!) tripod, cable release,
>F280.
>Option 3: Same as option 2, plus: 300/4.5, OM-40.
>Option 4: Same as option 3, plus space for gear not yet acquired, like e.g.
>500/8 reflex, macro gear.
>-Low profile bag, i.e. preferrably it should be cloaked so it won't attract
>potential thieves' attention too quickly, in other words, I'd prefer it not
>to have any camera brand names on it.

Olaf,

I have a tamrac with all the whistles and bells, but the one I use the MOST
is a small Coleman cooler (I think it holds a 12-pack). I bought a
3/8"-thick blue foam pad for camping (a few bucks, and very LIGHT), and cut
it into a nice liner for the cooler-top, sides and bottom. With the
leftover foam, I made dividers so I can layer my equipment.

Advantages: Cheap, protective, insulates from heat in your car, and doesn't
look like a camera bag. I pull what I want out of that and put it into
which ever pack I'm trapsing about with.

I also made my own waterproof, protective sacks. I used rip-stop nylon for
the liner, thick polartec for the exterior, and a squeeze toggle on the
closing cord. They are classy (mine are all black, but you can make
different colors to suit your needs) and fit nicely into the cooler...you
have to sew, or know a "friend" who does.

Chris Johns