[OM] Bend me, shape me...

Subject: [OM] Bend me, shape me...
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 15:15:15 +0200
I just had a weird experience with the 50/1.2 Zuiko. I was trying to figure
out what the effect was of my linear :-( Olympus POL filter on the 4Ti, as
compared to an Izumar circular POL filter, and also compared to the behavior
of these two filters on an OM-1. Suddenly it struck me that the indicated
exposure in the 4Ti no longer responded to the aperture ring. That is,
sometimes it did, but not on the full aperture range, and sometimes it did
not respond at all. Moving the aperture and focus ring, I could sometimes
hear a click and then the exposure no longer changed at all. Unmounting and
remounting the lens made no difference.Time for emergency 1-1-2?
Fortunately the camera did not seem ill. I tried two other lenses, and they
both behaved normal. So what was wrong with the lens? The meter coupling
lever moved normally. Then I had the idea to open the camera back, put the
shutter on 'B',   locking it with a cable release, and see with the
assistance of a flashlight what was different to the 50/1.2 as compared to
other lenses. It became immediately clear what the problem was - the meter
coupling lever was apparently slightly bended towards the center of the
lens, and slided over the camera lever as you moved it.
So I bended it carefully in opposite direction with a pincers and voila -
fixed it. I'm still puzzled what could have caused it and if it's been there
since I bought it last year - replacing my 55/1.2. Perhaps the previous
owner or the shopkeeper put it on its back without a rear cap? :-( I
probably did not notice it before because I only did nightshots with it,
wide open.

The POL results? On the OM-1 the exposure remains constant with both filters
as you turn them, on the 4Ti the exposure only remains constant with the
circular POL filter. As you turn the linear filter, the indicated exposure
changes by 1 1/3 stop. Of course in OTF Auto mode it will be corrected.

Ok, wake up, back to the vibration/MLU discussions...

Hans