RE: [OM] 72mm Samigon UV-Haze vs. Tiffen Skylight 1-A: which one to kee

Subject: RE: [OM] 72mm Samigon UV-Haze vs. Tiffen Skylight 1-A: which one to keep?
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:56:15 +0200
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their input on this matter. Some remarks:

> The UV-Haze and Skylight 1-A (and 1-B) are different
> filters by definition.

Yes, that's also what caused my issue in the first place, as they are
fundamentally different I wasn't sure which one would be best to keep :)

> the photograph and reduce its contrast.  The UV-Haze
> is *not* a color correction filter.  It is most
> useful outdoors for scenic photography,

[...]

> The Skylight 1-A and slightly stronger 1-B filters
> will filter UV as well, but they are also "warming"
> filters and provide a slight color correction.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of discussion I wanted to hear (i.e. which
filter best to use under which circumstances). However, I'm quite positive
the 1-A actually has the stronger warming effect of the two skylights. As
far as I've understood it, the 1-A has a slight warm tone (easily visible
when putting it on a white piece of paper), and the 1-B is more neutral
(i.e. a skylight filter without the warm tone)...

> With a 300mm long telephoto, I would first be
> concerned about UV-Haze and then about color
> correction for shade or overcast due to its general
> outdoor use for subjects at long distances.

Thanks, I haven't yet figured out whether a slight warm tone will look nice
in the pictures I intend to take with the 300mm (most likely nature shots),
or whether they'll look best without any colour correction at all. Brian's
idea of testing both filters and then comparing results might be the best
idea...

> Hope this helps you choose which to keep and which
> to send back.

It certainly does, from what I've read it seems that the UV-Haze might be
slightly favourite (despite the fact that the Samigon brand is not as well
known as the Tiffen). I think I'll stick at least with the UV-Haze and try
to get the 1-A for a small surplus charge, if possible.

> Pure Oly content:
> Your 300mm is one of the Zuiko's I've lusted for . .
> . but realize I wouldn't use a long tele as much as
> some of the shorter lenses for my work.
>  [sigh]  Some day I will eventually have one.

:)
The 300mm is certainly not my most often used lens, but it is a marvelous
piece of glass. I'd love to use it more often, but living in Amsterdam one
doesn't see too many birds and other wildlife. However, I certainly intend
to make pretty heavy use of the lens on my next vacations...
Ah! Probably needless to say, but e-bay has recently been flooded with 300mm
Zuikos, I think the average going price these days is around $300, you might
want to follow these auctions closely to see if one pops up at a price you
like.

Cheers!
Olaf