Re: [OM] OM to EOS Adapter

Subject: Re: [OM] OM to EOS Adapter
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 23:31:56 -0400
Glen Lowry wrote:
>Thanks for the link.  Even though I have no idea what the text might be
>saying,  I think I found what I was looking for an Zuiko to Leica M
>converter.  Any idea what the price is?
The list price is:
OLYMPUS-OM   Leica-M      ?32,000 ??
The last characters which you wouldn't be able to show as Japanese indicate the
name of the dealer.  The numbers prior to those gibberish characters indicate
price in yen.  I don't know the exchange between the yen and the Canadian
dollar, but with the US dollar, it is 120yen to the dollar.  It would be $266 by
list.
>Now that my trusty OM-1n appears to have the shakes (best excuse I can
>muster), I'm thinking about getting a Leica body (M4/6 probably).  It would
>be a lot easier to rationalize the considerable expense, if I knew I could
>use one or two of my Zuikos (21/28/35/85 are the ones I have in mind) to
>help me through the transition.
Don't jump to conclusion so fast, Glen, as to the apparent problem of the OM-1
on a tripod.  With the 21/28/35 lenses, Gary's tests showed no problem.  The
85mm might be the beginning of the problem with the OM-1.  Even though it is not
long or as big, it is heavier probably because of the glasses to make the f2
speed possible.  Gary's tests are rather stringent test on any lenses.  If you
have been shooting with your OM-1 in your hand and getting your 4x6 prints, I
bet that you have not seen any problems.

I do have several 16x20 Cibachromes made from slides I shot in the seventies
when I was shooting with the M-1 plus just the 50mm/1.8 handheld.  I sold two of
those prints through a New York gallery to two people I had never met.
Therefore the M-1 or the OM-1 is not a bad body, but if you are using longer
lenses starting with the 85mm and are going to make larger enlargements, then
you would have to worry.

IMHO, attaching a camera to a tripod does not necessarily lead to better
pictures.  You can dampen the vibrations with your body better than any tripods
down to a certain shutter speed.

The reasons for tripods are compositional needs and secondly support.  It is
very hard to get the exact same composition when one handholds the camera and
brackets the exposure.

And there is an OM-4(T) to think about if you want to upgrade.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/