Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions? G2 comments

Subject: Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions? G2 comments
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 12:52:31 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: George M. Anderson <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 1999 6:25 PM

> Wayne Shumaker wrote:
> >
> > This past weekend, I tried my friends IS-1 and 3 cameras.
> > Even though they were Olympus, they felt very foreign to me. When/If I
> > retire the OM's (and you folks will be the first to know), I can't see
> > using the newer Olympus cameras. I'm tend to agree with you, and it
> > makes me sad...
>
> > Wayne
>

> That's too bad.  When I first held the IS-3 (actually a -1 at the time)
> it, of course, felt much different than an OM.  The 'pistol grip' was
> radical, I had to figure out how to place the left hand to best support
> and zoom the lens, the controls are digital vs analog, etc.  But I
> wanted to see what this new type of camera could do, so I hung in there.
> And I was not disappointed. (Well, I was in the IS-1, but the IS-3 is
> far better.)
>
> I now feel very comfortable with the way the camera handles.  I bought
> the grip strap for it so I can carry it easily in my right hand set on
> ESP and can whip it up to my eye, power zoom in or out and shoot quickly
> and naturally. I much prefer it to an OM for these type of situations.
> And, as I've said before, with the optional G-40 flash, you can have
> flash from 2 different directions (by bouncing the G-40), no redeye,
> darn near perfect flash portraits.  It truly is a camera that presents a
> new nice surprise each time you use it.  (Of course, it'll never have
> the full capabilities ot the OM or Contax systems, but how about say
> 80-900f what the most demanding photographer wants in one clean
> package?)
>
> George

George, I could certainly not have said it better myself. Exactly my
feelings about the IS-3(000).

For a brief moment though I thought I could put new life into my OM system
when I bought a Swedish photographic magazine the other day and saw several
Zuiko zooms being offered at very favourable prices. These included a
35-70/4.0 for 600 SKR (about $75), a 35-105/3.5~4.5 for 1100 SKR (about
$135-140) and a 65-200/4.0 also for 1100 SKR. When I called the seller I was
actually prepared to pay what he wanted for that last zoom in spite of the
fact that I didn't know the condition of the lens, but unfortunately all of
it was sold. I do have the 75-150/4.0 zoom, but I'm not especially fond of
two ring zooms and my example also doesn't hold focus when zooming. Seems as
if I will continue to use my IS system for most of the time.

Per Nordenberg
Kolmården, Sweden