[OM] OM] A Zukiholic with a new film scanner

Subject: [OM] OM] A Zukiholic with a new film scanner
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 00:47:27 -0700
Jay,

You may not like Minolta scanners and you may have your opinions on what
should
compatible wit SCSI cards, however, you certainly don't sound like you
are close to an
expert on SCSI.  There is no way one SCSI card could work all of the
different SCSI devices out there.  Hard drives, scanners, CD-Rs,
removable media and ect; all can work at different transfer rates, use
bios or not use bios and so on.  Your simplistic rule that every scsi
scanner should work with every scsi board is utter nonsense and shows
that you are far from an experienced or knowledgable person on this
subject.

Most companies will test and train their support people on the most
common boards out there and ofcourse Adaptec has managed to become a
leader in the making of SCSI boards for PC's.  They are constantly
making newer boards to handle the faster drives aand take advantage of
the 100mhz (and faster) bus speeds ect.  No manufacturer of a hardware
device can guarantee the future compability with products that are yet
to be introduced.
The bus mastering boards are an obvious solution to for those
configurations which require an array of different SCSI devices.  With
the advent of FAST, Wide, and Ulta
SCSI it is even more complex an issue.

I can tell from your posts that you obviously have some bad feelings
about Minolta but I think you would be very wrong to act like an expert
on SCSI.  SCSI configuration is difficult enough with out someone giving
out mis-information as to how it works.
Keep in mind that your mis-information on this subject could cost some
one a lot of time and expense because they may trust your opinions.  Yes
I agree every hardware & software product should be 100ompatible with
everyting, but thats not how it is and we all know it and must be
prepared to make sound judgements when purchasing an expensive piece of
new hardware.

Phillip Franklin