[OM] Auto extension tubes

Subject: [OM] Auto extension tubes
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 10:26:39 -0700
>From: Martin Kos <Martin.Kos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>have anybody of you any experience with auto extension tubes from Vivitar
>or Kenko? Are they as good as Olympus ones? Is it worthwhile to pay more
>for Olympus original?

They are different sizes than the Olympus ones, which makes it useful to
have a set of each. The Olympus ones are thinner -- 7mm, 14mm, and 25mm.
Most third-party ones are 12mm, 20mm, and 36mm.

I find the 12mm one is too thick for use on many wide angle lenses. For
lots of fun, put the 7mm tube on a 21mm (or even 18mm!) lens.

In general, the Vivitar set I have is not as nicely made as the Olympus
set, but I paid only $30 for the Vivitar set, and $100 for the Olympus set!

Oh yes -- I just remembered another problem with the Vivitar set I have:
the hole is not big enough to mount some of the Zuikos designed for bellows
that have lens elements sticking out the back! (Notably, the 80/4 and
135/4.5, possibly others) If you have no such lenses, it isn't a problem,
and if you do, you probably also have the telescoping auto tube or bellows,
so it isn't a problem then, either. It's just annoying.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229