RE: [OM] A day in the Life of Oly

Subject: RE: [OM] A day in the Life of Oly
From: "Harridge, Wayne" <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 20:57:57 +0800
Simon wrote:

> Oh no, I've tried that too often.  The Welsh weather is notoriously
> unpredictable, although you can predict it's fairly likely to
> rain... at
> some point.

But if we had a theme of "rain" you would be in a perfect position.

> Regarding the 'contest', I remain uncertain.  Competition,
> while exciting,
> isn't necessarily going to be any more fun than an open show.
>  I don't like
> having to choose between photos you like, and also that the
> idea of one
> picture being "best" (technically? artistically? colour
> fidelity? what if a
> good mono shot is up against a good colour shot?  I could go
> on). I think we
> want to encourage freedom of expression.  There are two more
> problems - the
> first is that competition, whether one likes it or not, can
> sometimes be a
> little cruel.  Secondly, I think it might discourage those
> who feel they are
> already at a disadvantage (for whatever reason) from
> submitting material.
> Why not keep it as an open forum?  No "best" also means no "worst".

That was my original intention - show the rest of the list (+ the world !)
something of "where you live" geographically, intellectually or
philosophically.  I know when I regularly competed in camera club
competitions, I started to think "what does the judge expect to see" rather
than "what do I want to say".  Now I don't care - I'd rather stimulate some
discussion than win a prize.

> I would still like to see a category or whatever dedicated to
> 50/55mm lenses
> only - all models - but only to encourage the practice of
> using the one
> lens.  It's the discipline, the forcing of thought through
> lack of choice in
> hardware. It's not snobbery or anything silly like that, it's
> merely about
> getting "back to basics" - UK list members will understand
> the phrase, I'm
> sure  ;-)  Those of you who only have zooms can then look on
> enviously and
> think about what purchasing one itty bitty frighteningly
> cheap little Zuiko
> 50/1.8 might do for your photography  ;-)

It's interesting how adding constraints actually "frees up" your thinking.

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/