[OM] Re: OM-40 Lock-up problem

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-40 Lock-up problem
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 16:02:30 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Abbinga
Date: 20 May 1999 07:49

>Recently I bought a OM-PC(=OM40). ...but at the moment the mirror locks up
and refuse to come
>down.
>It seems to me a computer problem. Does anybody know a way to reset an
>OMPC(40).

I, too, bought an OM-40 this week and this morning a photocopied instruction
book for it arrived from Olympus UK (with a request for £3). I have now read
it from cover to cover but I regret to say that it isn't much help on the
subject of resetting after a mirror lock-up. On page 78 it vaguely says:
"Q:  The mirror does not spring back.
 A:  Check the batteries. If the batteries are in good condition, and in
case the mirror should not spring back or the shutter should not close, the
safety mechanism will operate to return them to their original position."

It's as clear as mud to me. It looks as though you have a fault unless the
batteries you've tried aren't up to power. About the battery check, the book
says "If the sound becomes intermittent or the LED blinks, replace the
batteries."

Incidentally, add the OM40 (PC) to the list of bodies that operates the
mirror lock-up AND stops the aperture down 12 seconds before releasing the
shutter when using the Self Timer.

Regards,
Keith (Birmingham, UK)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx