Re:[OM] Shutter Shudder Revisited

Subject: Re:[OM] Shutter Shudder Revisited
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 20:16:33 -0500
At 09:15 AM 5/18/99 -0400, Tomoko you wrote:
>Joel,
>Do your Vivitar (?) extension tubes automatic aperture closing and opening?
>
>With Olympus extension tubes, earlier ones were manual aperture.  With those,
>you can stop down the aperture prior to shutter release, which would
eliminate
>vibration in the lens due to aperture movement.
>
>Tomoko Yamamoto

Tomoko, yes the Vivitar extension tubes are auto, so that if aperture
stopdown is a culprit in vibration to the lens, these tubes might
contribute in some way to the problem.

However, the OM-1 and OM-2S, both of which I used for my test frames of the
striped orchid with 200/f4 and extension tubs, are quite different in terms
of how their mirror lockup works vis a vis aperture stop down.  There is no
way to prefire the aperture stop down on the OM-1, even though you can
manually lock up the mirror.  Timer prefire on the OM-2S locks up the
mirror as well as stops down the aperture.

The fact that the results with OM-1 and OM-2S were indistinguishable
suggests to me that the stopdown of the aperture prior to exposure is a
non-issue.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA