[OM] Olympus B-300 + 2xA +135/2.8 -> 460/5.6+

Subject: [OM] Olympus B-300 + 2xA +135/2.8 -> 460/5.6+
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 14:41:24 +0200
Hi,

Over the last few days I had some off-list message interchanges with Hans
van Veluwen (and to a lesser extent with Frank Lindert) about how to use
teleconverters to obtain a "poor man's super telephoto lens".

Well, just today I may have figured out a great combo. If my understanding
of matters is correct, the Zuiko 2xA TC is matched for the 135/2.8, which
yields a 270/5.6 telephoto lens. Then further adding the B-300 TC (which
reportedly works very well with the 135/2.8) gives another 1.7 amplification
with almost no light loss, thus yielding a 460/5.6+ super telephoto combo!

Now for some comparison against the two nearest matching fixed super
telephoto lenses:

Weight:
------
-135/2.8 = 360 gr.
 2xA = 215 gr.
 B-300 = ?? gr.
 Total = 575 + X gr.

-400/6.3 = 1300 gr.
-500/8 = 590 gr.

Length:
------
-135/2.8 = 80mm
 2xA = 48mm
 B-300 = ?? mm
 Total = 128 + Y mm

-400/6.3 = 255 mm
-500/8 = 97 mm

Now, I would say that if this combo doesn't have any negative effects from
the TCs, it is an excellent alternative for the above fixed lenses! Even
when stopping down the combo 2 stops (to get rid of potentially poor wide
open diafragm performance), you would still have a 460/8 lens!

In weight and size this will then most likely not differ much from the
500/8, and you have the added advantage of having a selectable diafragm.
Furthermore, there will not be any doughnut-like light effects and
financially spoken the combo will probably also be cheaper...

Needless to say, when bringing this combo you can also use any of the other
combos the set provides for (i.e. 135/2.8, 230/2.8+, 270/5.6).

Now, am I terribly mistaken or is it just an exotic combination simply noone
has thought of before?

Also, if anyone can test this combo, I'd be more than interested to see
results of that...

Cheers!
Olaf