Re: [OM] flash question (speed/exp. related)

Subject: Re: [OM] flash question (speed/exp. related)
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 02:05:04 EDT

> Xsynch is 1/60 in the OM1n. So far all my flash photos have been at 1/60.
>  If I set it to 1/30, double the light is coming in, right, since it's not
>  TTL and flash auto doesn't know it? Is the calculator on the back of the
>  T32 for 1/60 or what?
>  Thanks,
>  AV

It all depends on whether or not the combination of 1/60 and "x" fstop is a
correct exposure without use of flash. The calculator panel is for
computation of the amount of light coming back to the sensor (The "O" in
Olympus.) and quenches the flash anywhere from 1/10,000 second to 1/1000
second. The brightness of the flash is, at close range, many times brighter
than the ambient light so it doesn't consider it. If your subject is
underexposed at 1/60 and "x" fstop, then the flash will light it up according
to what the sensor tells it.

To return to your original question, the answer is "it all depends"  If your
subject is underexposed, then changing the shutter speed won't effect it much
and the flash will make up the difference. If your subject is correctly
exposed a change to 1/30 will result in slight overexposre.

Warren Kato