Re: [OM] Safari Kit update/film suggestions?

Subject: Re: [OM] Safari Kit update/film suggestions?
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 09:07:44 -0700
Kerry;

Wow! Great job upgrading the system.  I can vouch that the first two are
great lenses and the 500/8 has a great rep too.  I've been looking for
one myself.

Here's my suggestions on film, from the perspective of one who shoots
almost exclusively slide film:

        1) Shoot slide film, mostly! :>)
        2) I would bring some slower film for landscapes, etc. Perhaps Velvia
or KC64 or 25, giving the ability for good 16x20s, all else equal. I
would keep one body loaded with this film for landscapes.
        3) For safari animals: I'd have 2 bodies ready for them to minimize
lens changes in the heat of the moment. The zoom on one, the 500 on the
other. The 300 at the ready.

        As for film, in the 85-250 body I would have either 100 or 200 speed
slide film.
For 200 good choices would be: Kodachrome 200, Elite 200 or most any 100
speed film pushed one stop.
For 100, E100SW(good for nature as it warms scene up a bit) or E100VS(if
you want saturated colors) or one of the Fujichromes.

        Sunny F/16 rule says on sunny day, recip of ASA is appx shutter speed
at F/16. So at ASA 200, shutter at F/16 is appx 1/125 (I find it's safer
and a bit more accurate to round down.) So you could shoot the 85-250
wide open at close to 1/1000 and the 300/4.5 a bit faster yet. At ASA
100, appx 1/500 and almost 1/1000 max shutter.  These will be more than
enuf to hand hold the zoom or the 300 even at F/8. As can be seen from
Gary's tests, closing the 300 down to F/5.6 gains a little over wide
open and may actually be the optimum aperture!.  Same is pretty much
true for the zoom, F/5 is real good, F/8 a bit better.

        In the 500/8 body I would be tempted to be mainly shooting fast print
film. You'll need the extra speed to handhold that 500mm glass (brace
yourself real good or use a monopod as the lightness actually makes it
more difficult to handhold) and you'll need the extra speed at other
times too (It won't always be sunny :>)  The reason I'd go with print is
that slide film over 200 speed just isn't as good as fast print film,
last time I checked. The Kodak 800 or Max, for example, is real good.
And, it is very forgiving of over/under exposure up to a coupla stops.
I might be tempted to set the camera on manual at 1/1000 and shoot away
with the 500, assuming good light.

Of course, I would break all my above rules lots of times!  Use the zoom
with print film (for more contrast than the 500) use the 500 on the
slide body in sun for animals long way off, etc etc.

As for # bodies, my above treatise suggests 3, and that would certainly
be nice (don't forget spare batteries).  However, since the 100 speed
slide films are SO good (especially, IME, the Kodak E100SW and VS), you
could easily get away with 2, using the 100 slide body for landscapes as
well.  In any case, one of the bodies should be a -1 in known good shape
for reliability reasons.

OK, gotta go. Have a great time. I'm jealous.

George