Re: [OM] Slot canyon help and low light spot metering

Subject: Re: [OM] Slot canyon help and low light spot metering
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 21:19:12 -0500
At 06:21 PM 5/14/99 -0600, you wrote:
>>Hi Ron,
>>
>>This is interesting, since your exposure is determined by an OTF metering
>>system which presupposes the density and reflectance of film to get the
>>correct exposure times (or so I thought).  One would think you might get
>>over-exposures.  If not, perhaps the somewhat longer times doing OTF
>>exposures without film help check the potential of reciprocity failure?
>>
>>Have you ever done this technique with film in the OM-4T?
>>

>Dear Joel:
>
>You are correct.  As the OM4t manual clearly states, using an empty OM4t
>will falsely overexpose the scene.  The only other time I have ever used the
>Om4t in a slot canyon was when I was using it to shoot film.  Oddly enough,
>though, my exposures this time using the empty OM4t as a meter for my Pentax
>67 were fine.  It may well be that when one uses exposure times of 30-60
>seconds, the variation of exposure times between using film in the camera
>and not may be insignificant in proportion.  What do you think?
>
>Ron Crabtree
>Santa Fe, NM

Ron,
I guess it must not be significant, although maybe it really is preferable
*not* to use film for long exposures just to stay a little bit ahead of
reciprocity problems. The proof is in what comes back from the lab.

I've used my OM-2S as a meter for my OM-1 but with film in both. Gary Reese
discussed this last summer.  Worked great for fireworks.

Cheers,

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA