[OM] Lens Testing - Counting Lines

Subject: [OM] Lens Testing - Counting Lines
From: "Kinkead, Frank W" <Frank.Kinkead@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 18:57:51 -0500
I saw a comment on Ed Romney's site RE lenses:  "...You need 40 lines per mm
on the edges and 60 lines in the center of good lens for serious 35mm
photography work..."

I'm just learning to evaluate Gary Reese' quality reviews regarding
resolution and contrast, etc.; but I'm not familar with referring to lenses
as having lines per mm;  Is this another way to look at what Gary is doing
anyway ?

I understand lines per inch (pixel value) on a computer screen that has
lines but I'm fuzzy as to how it applies to a lens.

Any comments ?

Chip Kinkead
St. Louis, MO