Re: [OM] full-aperture metering; video converter lenses; serial

Subject: Re: [OM] full-aperture metering; video converter lenses; serial
From: "Joe X. Jackson" <e3ujxj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 09:25:52 +0100 (EDT)
> A bit more thought shows that there is another way to take full-aperture meter
> readings. Instead of placing the aperture-position pin at a particular f-stop,
> you can reposition it to compensate for variations in the lenses' maximum
> apertures. Minolta was probably the first company to do this, and it's the
> system OM cameras use.

okay, i thought i understood what was going on inside my camera, but when
someone gets *this* exasperated by our apparent stupidity, i have to doubt
my assumptions.

i was under the opinion that, when the aperture ring is "wide open" on my
OM, the aperture-position pin is in a fixed position, NO MATTER WHAT THE
MAXIMUM APERTURE OF THE LENS IS. as i stop it down, the pin moves, telling
the meter that it should make a 1-stop, 2-stop, etc. adjustment to the
exposure. i wasn't aware that the position was changed to "compensate for
variations in the lenses' maximum apertures." i thought it was changed to
"compensate for the difference between current setting and the maximum
aperture," which is an entirely different thing.

> I'm tempted to stop posting anything of technical nature, as it seems
> necessary to write a 2000-word essay on any and every subject, spelling
> out everything in excruciating detail so there is no question whatsoever
> about what is being discussed. I just don't have time for that.

probably a good idea. "never try to teach a pig to sing. it wastes time,
and annoys the pig." if anyone's keeping tabs, put me under the "annoyed
pig" column.

> "Think, people, think!" -- Lex Luthor

also advisable.

--
                      joe jackson  |  Life is right in any case.
             e3ujxj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  |  My heart is as open as the sky.