[OM] how full-aperture metering works -- part 2

Subject: [OM] how full-aperture metering works -- part 2
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 21:33:54 -0700
There's a lot of confusion and complication going on about what is
essentially very simple.

For exposure, the setting of the aperature ring is irrelevant! It means
nada, nil, nothing!

The aperature position coupling is simply for the user's convenience -- it
varies the meter reading to let the user know approximately what is going
to happen at exposure time. It has no effect whatsoever on automatic TTL
exposure.

This is REALLY easy to prove with a T-mount pre-set lens, slow film, and a
fairly dark room. Fire the shutter. Pretend you're the stop-down lever --
the "other" pin that actually closes the diaphram. Move the diaphram closed
during the exposure. Proper exposure results, even though the indicator pin
on a T-mount lens IS FIXED IN PLACE!

During manual exposure, it is exactly the same: it lets the user know that
at exposure time, RELATIVELY less light is going to be coming through the
lens, so the user can make a RELATIVE adjustment of shutter speed, if
desired.

>The camera does not, and cannot, make any compensation.

I agree.

>It is the position
>of the aperture pin that makes the compensation.

The position makes no "compensation" except as a convenience to the user,
by changing the meter reading that is visible.

Perhaps I'm missing something, and we're actually in "heated agreement"
here? :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229