Re: [OM] Olympus B300 (was: Teleconverters)

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus B300 (was: Teleconverters)
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 00:15:27 -0800
Gary Edwards wrote:

>Gary Schloss wrote:
>
>>with the Olympus B300/B28 attachments it appears to be
>>impossible to use filters: there are no threads on their fronts,
>>and inserting the filters between the lens and these front-mounted
>>TC's may have undesirable effects.
>>

>Not impossible, Gary.  For black and white or warming filters, cut gel
>filters down to a suitable diameter and stick them in between the B300 and
>the front element.  [or] oversized filter could be taped on front of B300.

See?  That's what I like about Zuiks/Zuikettes:  they're accustomed to
using their heads, are inventive, and always ready to improvize solutions.

>the Wolf Camera catalog shows a retail price of $210 US for the B300.

That's too high.  The B300 is available new for $120-130.

Hans van Veluwen wrote:

>Unfortunately, when the IS/L B-300 HQ 1.7x converter is used on anything
>shorter than 135mm, vignetting quickly turns into VIGNETTING! What you get
>on 50/55mm is similar to the tunnel effect produced by an 8mm fisheye.

Thanks much for the input.  I only inspected the "55/1.2 + B300" combo
visually, through the shutter opening on an OM-1, and it looked promising.
I think I'll give it a try anyway.  IMHO, the vignetting should improve
with closing down the aperture.

Tomoko Yamamoto wrote:

>I had tested my B300 on my 50mm/1.4 earlier before you mentioned it, Gary.
>I thought that there was too much vignetting using a step-up ring, and
>I just double-checked on that point.

Hmm, the problem may have been the use of the step-up ring, as it keeps
the B300 too far from the host lens.  I'd give it a try with the A200
(as soon as I can lay my hands on one :-)).

If all else fails, there is always the option of using the above lenses
and attachments on a Pen FT via the OM to FT adapter.  After all, the
Pen FT is the perfect portrait camera, and at 72 exp. per roll it's
very cost-effective too. :-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA