[OM] Faulty OM30 (OMF) -- > help !

Subject: [OM] Faulty OM30 (OMF) -- > help !
From: "Michael Williamson" <michael.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 16:36:51 +0100
Dear All,

Can somebody please help me ??

I have only just joined the OM "club" on Friday. (282 messages Monday
morning at work... phew!)

I bought my OM30 (F model to you USA guys) 2nd hand (cheap). The manual
calibration is spot on and obeys the manual shutter speed ring setting
absolutely. The meter is also in correct calibration, and I have checked it
against other cameras. All manual pic's are spot on for exposure.

I first noticed that the auto was out of whack (consistently; always the
same amount) when I took a few shots of my girlfriend in low light- they
were blurred and I know I can hold 1/30th (50mm) of a second ok. It
consistently fires the shutter at 2 stops lower (ie 1/60th ends up being
15th  you can tell by comparing the ka-thunks by quickly switching to manual
and going up the range until the too noises "correspond"....) than the
indicated light meter says it will fire off at.  (This actually is sort of
OK for print film in plenty of light...where you have about 4+ and 2- stops
tolerance)

I have used the internet FAQ to clean the shutter electromagnet under the
camera floor (as a precaution ...as its old), but I need to calibrate THE
CAMERA. I HAVE CHECKED ALL THE INTERNET FAQ FOR OLYMPUS AND CAMERA REPAIRS
(OLYMPUS) AND CAN FIND NO REFERENCE TO CABLIBRATION FOR THE AUTOMATIC
CONTROL.

By cross-referencing to the manual Ka-thunks (listening to the noise) of a
designated speed e.g. 1/2 sec...I could perhaps match the auto calibration
by ear (probably for 1sec to 1/4 anyway)... so my question is just :

Where is the trimpot/control or whatever for the Calibration???

I would really appreciate anybody's advice; otherwise I'II have to offload
it to one of you guys!!

** I have bought quite a few lenses for the OM30 now (& a t20), and as I
said before the manual is spot on, but auto would be handy sometimes --->
until I get enough for an OM2SP, OM4 or ...OM4ti (too expensive)

Regards,

Michael.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   (I am an Australian working as a Computer
Consultant in UK ...)

    Equitas Limited           33 St Mary Axe, London, EC3A 8LL, UK
please notify postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  and delete the message and any