Re: [OM] Re:_[OM]_Teleconverters_-_which_ones _to_use?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:_[OM]_Teleconverters_-_which_ones _to_use?
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 15:22:46 EDT
         I seem to remember reading a pop-photography review of
tele-convertors and matched lens/convertor pairs.
The matched pairs did come out a bit better with a vivitar pair being one of
the better combinations.

        The article mentioned that there are relatively few convertor
manufacturers and that Komura is the largest
supplier. They apparently oem their convertors to a number of other
independent lens makers as well as selling under
the brand of Telemore. The article came to the conclusion that the convertors
with more ( 7 ?) elements were
superior to the ones with less elements. With that large a number of elements
it is probably important to get a
multicoated convertor as there will be as many contrast robbing glass air
surfaces as a zoom, when combined
with even a fixed focus lens. This may also be another reason why they are
so poor with zooms.

        I have owned two different Komura models. Both are marked Telemore95
and K.M.C. (for multicoated ?).
And one is marked 7K.M.C. (Assumed a seven element ?).The coatings are
different in colour but do not
show much green!  I don't expect much from convertors, but like the weight
for hiking. I often use them with my
short Novoflex with acceptable results as camera shake is usually my biggest
problem with a long lens.

        If anybody has the pop-photo article it might be instructive to share
it with this thread.

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx