[OM] Re: [OM] Teleconverters - which ones  to use?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM] Teleconverters - which ones  to use?
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 19:36:45 +0200
Olaf the (ex?)Norwegian wrote:

>The lenses I would like to use the converter(s) with would be (in order of
importance):
>300mm F4.5, 65-200 F4, 135 F2.8 (all are Zuikos). Now, especially the 300mm
>is interesting, but the 65-200 is a close second. Therefore I'm wondering
>which TCs can best be used for each of these lenses.

For most zooms, including the 65-200/4 I'd say that matching any
teleconverter is a no-no. they just don't simply work well together. I've
tried a few off-brands (Zuikos don't fit), it didn't work with any of them.
The 300/4.5 I've matched with great results with the 1.4X, so have others on
this list. I cannot verify Gary R's tests here, in fact I've done some own
testing at home, comparing the 300/4.5 solo with the 300+1.4X and my Tamron
400/4 with and without it's 1.4X SP converter. Evaluating this wasn't easy
but one thing became clear and that was the 300+1.4X combo faring very well
here. I did the tests mainly to confide myself in using this combo in the
future, it snaps wonderfully with a 2-4 screen on the OM-4 and there are
several instances when you don't wan't to carry a 2.5 kg lens + heavy
tripod.

I'd like to stress that other tests by Gary R almost confirms my own
experiences, but the 300+1.4x (especially wide-open) don't.  Kudos to Gary
R.

The 300/4.5 + Zuiko 2X shows more degradation, though I think it can be used
for certain non-critical applications. As for trying off-brand converters,
well, the Olympus's are beautifully made, more expensive and better!

This thread made me count my converters, when ready I had 7 (seven) in front
of me. If I stack them on my longest lens which is a 400mm I'd get a 25000mm
lens. Anyone beating that? ;-)

Ulf Westerberg