Re: [OM] Lens to Camera Adapters was Re: [OM] Adapters

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens to Camera Adapters was Re: [OM] Adapters
From: "Glen Lowry" <lowry@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 21:52:12 -0700
wrote:

-----Original Message-----
>Even if it is physically feasible to make Nikon to Olympus adapters, you
might
>be in the minority on insisting to use the OM body.  In the Japanese
catalog
>(JPV show catalog) I have looked at, you would lose light when you can
shoot to
>the infinity with the optical-type mount adapters.  In this type you may
have a
>problem of vignetting with the lens of shorter focal length than 50mm.
>
>With the other type of lens to camera adapters in the Japanese catalog for
which
>the problem with infinity is not mentioned, lens to camera adapters for the
OM
>body are limited to the medium-format lenses.  It appears that the OM
lenses to
>other brand bodies are more desirable or easier to make.  The OM lenses can
be
>used on the EOS, Leica L, Leica M and two video cameras, the Canon EX1/EX2
and
>XL-1.  Some of these adapters (e.g. OM Zuiko to the Leica M) are noted to
have
>been made in Germany.  I hope that some of German members can look up on
lens to
>camera adapters available in Germany.

Thanks fo doing all this research I'm grateful.  While I'm disappointed that
OM bodies are harder to adapt than the lenses, it is nice to know that Zuiko
lenses can be used with Leicas (and EOS).  I'm wondering though how the
focusing might work on the rangefinder bodies.

>Which film are you using for this work?  I have shot stage performance
without
>flash with the 85mm/2 and a few other lenses last year.  The Fuji 1600,
rated at
>1600, was terrible, but the Fuji Super G 800 pushed to 1600 was so much
better.

Mostly I've been using HP5 at 800 or 1600 ISO.  Have also experimented with
TMAX 3200, which seems very flat at 3200 but pretty good at 1600--though I
haven't used it enough to know where the problems are with the film or my
darkroom technique.  Last week I shot the new Ilford 3200 at 3200 (which is
a little less that convenient on the OM-1n) and the proofs look quite good
under the loupe, but I haven't printed anything so I can't say for sure.  In
colour, I've tried Royal Gold 800 and Super G 800, but again not enough
really know what they can do.

>Glen, have you actually used the Zuiko35mm/2, 85mm/2, and 100mm/2 for this
work?
>If I am to do it over those shots of stage performance, I would have pushed
1/3
>of a stop more to gain some speed.

No I never have. I've used the Zuiko 50/1.4 extensively and I recently
acquired a 28/2 (which seems quite good). While I don't have an 85/2 (I keep
trying to get one but missing the boat) or 100/2, I've used my EOS 100/2
quite a bit and it works well.  But here's the catch, I don't have to focus
the EOS lens.  While I'm tempted to stick with autofocus, the literary
events (poetry readings) I'm shooting  tend not only to be dark but quiet
too, so the Elan IIe is too loud--not to mention the fact that the red focus
assist light is kind of distracting.

I really like the unobtrusive OM-1n, but I need all the focus assistance I
can muster. In this sense, it's not entirely the film speed that I'm worried
about, but light in the view finder.  While I've never used an M series
Leica, I started out w/ a IIIf I inherited from my Grandfather and I have a
feeling that my dream set up (at least for this project) is an M-6 and
35/1.4 + 85/1.4.  Alas I guess I'll have to keep making do w/ my poor
person's Leica.

Glen