[OM] The tyranny of flunkies

Subject: [OM] The tyranny of flunkies
From: CANTABENE@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 08:00:43 EDT
In a message dated 05/08/1999 12:27:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
infoanim@xxxxxx writes:

>  I think they do this partly on a random basis (how?) and partly they
>  see something "suspicious" or "contrary" and then they poke & prod to
>  see how you react, confirming or denying their suspicions or punishing
>  your contrariness.

I've long suspected that among the people who hold minor jobs that imbue them
 with great power are those who simply love being able to lord it over their
fellow humans.It's probable  that many at every level of law enforcement,
customs, including the  people who sit behind a desk at city hall and tell
you what you can and  can't do and are able control your life even
briefly--are  in the job for the power it confers upon them--not for the
relatively small salaries such jobs usually pay.  Where else can a person who
is otherwise without importance or significance in his private life feed his
ego by being able to persecute others at random and with impunity? It's the
dream of every schoolyard bully.