Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was "200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4)

Subject: Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was "200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4)
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 06:26:51 -0400
On: Fri, 7 May 1999 20:55:11
Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's not really necessary to attach the laser pointer to the camera or
lens,
all you really need is a small mirror attached (maybe with double sided
tape) then the laser pointer can be aimed at that.

I had also been thinking about that.  If it was attached to a filter or
lens cap it could easily be moved to different lenses for testing.

My earlier reference to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle had to do
with keeping the experimental apparatus from affecting the result of the
experiment.  It's probably not significant but, if we're dealing with a
resonance, the laser pointer attached to the lens could be inducing the
problem (or hiding a larger one).

A little bit of mirror (with much less mass than the laser pointer)
would be less likely to introduce itself as part of the problem.  Even
better might be a little piece of reflective mylar... extremely light.

The experimenter should keep in mind that reflecting the beam off the
mirror (attached at the end of the lens) will cause the angular motion
of the beam to be doubled compared to the result seen with the laser
pointer alone.

Chuck Norcutt