[OM] f/stop significance at infinity

Subject: [OM] f/stop significance at infinity
From: "Tom Trottier" <infoanim@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 09:01:31 -0400
1. The image sharpness. Usually lenses are sharper at f/4 to f/8 (see
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm for sharpness
differences at different f/stops for different lenses

2. The depth of field. At f/16 with a 50mm lens focused at infinity, objects
will be in focus from about 17' to infinity (and beyond...) At f/1, from 273'
to infinity.

3. Flare. Generally, the wider the lens aperture, the more flare & lack of
contrast.

From: Tom Trottier, President, ACT Productions Inc.
infoanim@xxxxxx                   http://www.act.ca
+1 613 594-4829                 fax +1 613 594-8944
199 Holmwood Ave,  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1S 2P3
"Make it as simple as possible, but no simpler" - Einstein