[OM] Latest lens tests

Subject: [OM] Latest lens tests
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 01:37:14 EDT
Today a prominent OM List contributor and I ran tests on a stable of lenses
and burned up 4 1/2 rolls of film.  Within a week I should have posted tests
on the following, listed with some personal observations.

40mm f/2 Zuiko MC
Rather easy to change the aperture on if you have a lens hood in place; neat
to finally see one!

400mm f/6.3 Zuiko MC w/ Olympus 1.4x teleconverter
Almost impossible to focus with a 1-8 screen and Varimagnifinder.  Requires
extra lens support.

180mm f/2.8 Zuiko MC Olympus 1.4x teleconverter
East to focus and nice balance and feel.

135mm f/2.8 Zuiko MC w/ Olympus 2x teleconverter
Focuses pretty easy, although a low contrast image.

400mm f/5.6 Noflexar (Novoflex) w/ Olympus 1.4x teleconverter
Another upside down tripod ordeal, marginal ability to focus (had to find
high contrast details to focus on)

600mm f/6.5 Zuiko MC (retest)

350mm f/5.6 Tamron SP (mirror)
Snappy focusing, although low contrast image. Amazing compact - looks very
useful as a field lens.

90mm f/2.5 Tokina AT-X
In the running for best designed macro: lots of magnification ratio markings,
good build quality.

28-85mm f/4 Canon FD

35-105mm f/3.5 Canon FD

100mm f/4 Canon FD

50mm f/1.4 Canon FD

Tamron SP IF ED 400mm f/4 with and without the 1.4x SP and 2.0X SP
teleconverters, and with and without the Olympus 1.4x and 2x teleconverters.
Breathtaking  :-)  Hard, but not impossible to focus with the 2X converters.
The 1.4X Olympus converter had a focusing ease advantage over the Tamron,
which I expect will translate to better wide open performance, too.

35mm f/2.8 Zuiko MC

28mm f/2.8 Zuiko MC (second sample)

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV