Re: [OM] Lenses and light don't mix?

Subject: Re: [OM] Lenses and light don't mix?
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:55:14 -0400
I know pointing a telescope directly at the sun can cause internal damage by
building up too much heat in the optical tube assembly.  The bigger the
scope the faster the thermal buildup.  For camera lenses, I think similar
effects *could* happen, given enough time or repeated exposure.  The thing
is though, without moving the lens, direct sunlight doesn't last very long.

I believe there are lens formulas that have elements cemented together.  I
have no idea if enough heat can build up in the lens barrel to cause
seperations or make the lubricants melt or perhaps outgas vapors.  I doubt
UV has any harmful effects to the lens.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far".