Re: [OM] Lens Quality Merely a Constraint

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Quality Merely a Constraint
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:45:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, kelton wrote:

> >  Everything else is just tech-noise (the sound of testosterone dripping!).
>
> Good point! We all know that objectivity is a chimera, anyway. Lens
> quality doesn't really matter, it's just an oppressive, patriarchal
> constraint to creativity. In this vein, I'd like to help out. To balance
> out the various lens tests and other attempts at hegemonic empiricism
> that have been cluttering this list, over the coming months I'm going to
> be evaluating each fixed Zuiko lens with a poem, and each zoom with an
> interpretive dance.
> -- The Zuik Formerly Known As Kelton

  Hmmmm...I detect a few atoms of sarcasm here from Zuikelton...:-)

> (PS: Before I start my metamorphosis, however, I really WOULD like to
> know how Zeiss and Leica compare to Zuiko. But I feel so ashamed for
> wanting to know. Please hold me, I'm feeling vulnerable.)

  Well, I didn't do any testing...but my Leitz lenses
 seem MUCH more consistent across
the field in relation to f/stop than Zuikos, which vary quite a
bit betwen center & corner sharpness. The Leitz lenses also
seem sharper, but that may well be a function of superior
focusing, plus the lack of optical compromises in optical design
allowed by the lack of a mirror. Hmmm, how did you miss this
in the first post ?

                                *= Doris Fang =*