[OM] RE: macro questions (and a few more for the experts!)

Subject: [OM] RE: macro questions (and a few more for the experts!)
From: Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:52:16 EDT
Like so many, I have been lurking and was glad to see the macro questions
appear.
I was pleasantly following the thread until Gary wrote the following sentence:

>While you could then use the tubes with the f/3.5, they
>required that the lens helical be racked all the way out to kick in close
>focus aberration correction.

You lost me there.  I suppose Gary will send me an explanation, but I posted
here since others might have been confused by that one.

I'm new to macro work but am fortunate enough to have the 50mm 3.5 (I made a
visit to the camera store in a weak moment.) Anyway, I want to expand my
distance to subject.  I know one solution is to go with a larger focal
length.  Is that my only option?  How will extension tubes change my image
ratio and my distance to subject?
And lastly, Gary wrote:

>Warning: you will eventually be eyeing the 80mm 1:1 and Telescoping Auto
>Tube.

Is this a reference to the 80mm which works with the auto bellows and is
manual or another macro lens I don't know about?  And if it is, then how much
of a pain is the auto vs. manual lens and extension tubes, for that matter,
when composing and taking a photograph.

Thanks in advance for the help,
--p.j.