Re: [OM] the success of the OM system

Subject: Re: [OM] the success of the OM system
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:16:39 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: den 1 februari 1999 20:46
Subject: [OM] the success of the OM system

> Hallo list members,
>
> when reading the messages about the problems Olympus has to sell its
OM
> system today, I remembered an original sales brochure from Olympus
Europe
> (Hamburg) from 1976, in which they say, that the success of the OM
system
> was a surprise for them. In fact, they had several times
difficulties to
> deliver products in the requested number of pieces or the
introduction of
> announced products was delayed (the 100mm 1:2 needed years, almost
one
> decade, to be released). Other products were omitted because of
> "rationalization" (300mm 1:6,3 and 400mm 1:4,5).
>
> Matthias

Sorry Matthias and all for answering to an old post (I think my inbox
hasn't been emptied for years), but I think the omittance of the Zuiko
1:4,5/400 mm was due to the old rack and pinion design. The compact
1:6,3/300 mm on the other hand was a "modern" straight helicoid
design. The origin of these two lenses has been discussed earlier, and
I think the conclusion was that Olympus "borrowed" them from another
lens maker, but then decided not to release them.

Per Nordenberg
Kolmården, Sweden