RE: [OM] 18mm filters

Subject: RE: [OM] 18mm filters
From: Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 18:32:16 +1000
Jim wrote:

> Did you use Olympus' adapter setp up ring  ?
> If yes, did you use Olympus filter ?
> If no, you should have used one of those
> thin rimmed filters such as Hoya's Ultra
> filters.
>
> This brings me the question of what aperature
> does this lens (Zuiko 18mm/f3.5) show
> vignetting with proper filter/step up ring
> were used.  Does anyone in the list have
> experience ?

I have this lens with the Olympus step-up ring (lens hood).
There is no perceptible vignetting using the step-up ring with a "normal"
Hoya filter (adds 5mm extra length).

The lens does have a fall off in brightness (appears like about 1 stop
difference between the centre and the extreme corners), however this is a
normal phenomenon for an ultra wide lens.  There appears to be no difference
at different apertures.  See
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/ct35-207-ac-a.html for an
example.

Let me emphasise: There is NO OBSERVABLE DIFFERENCE between the lens with no
attachments and with the correct step-up ring and a Hoya filter with 5mm
thick mount.

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/