Re: [OM] Gobo [Was: 18mm filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Gobo [Was: 18mm filters
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 02:05:44 EDT

<< Does anyone make thin rim after-market lens hoods? I have a 49mm one size
 fits all rubber lens hood which I once used with my 28 / 2.8 Zuiko instead
 of using the original lens hood. I had a perfectly circular image and black
 corners. Original OM  lens hoods in the second hand market are rather hard
 to find.

 John Hudson >>

The wider and wider a lens gets, the more difficult it is to keep directly
off of the elements, even with a special hood. The problems is that most all
are circular and the sun can sneak in between the corners. An elegant
solution that some manufacturers have implemented is a rectangular outside
bayonet matched to the focal length and angle of view that attaches to the
outside of the filter ring, thus allowing use of filters and also the hood at
the same time.

Also check out the Ambico compendium hood. This is a bellows hood with a
rectangular front and a filter slot at the rear. Adapters are available for
49 to 58mm. The markings on the side only indicate use for 35 to 135mm focal
lenghts.

I saw someone was selling a gooseneck type of device with an alligator clip
on one end to clip a board or something flat to and a plastic piece that
could fit into the flash shoe.

I just use a hat for wides by moving it into the field of view and backing
off a bit.

Warren