[OM] Lens Test: 135mm f/2.8 Zuiko

Subject: [OM] Lens Test: 135mm f/2.8 Zuiko
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:06:01 EDT
This lens behaves like the 200mm f/4 Zuiko (multi-coated) in that it has a
performance fall off immediately upon stopping down.  Camera shake (like in
the 200mm) is doubtful here since the lens is short and stable a top a heavy
Bogen tripod with a quick release plate (I used mirror lockup and the
self-timer).  It's seems to suffer from focus shift, unless someone else has
a good explanation.

135mm f/2.8 Zuiko (multi-coated)
Vignetting = A-
Distortion = none
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/2.8     B         B-
f/4       B-        B-
f/5.6     C+        B-
f/8       B-        B
f/11      B+        B+
f/16      B+        A-
f/22      B         B+
Notes: Moderately high contrast at expense of resolving power throughout
aperture range, with impressively high contrast wide open; possible focus
shift accounts for lower grades when stopped down 2 to 3 stops.

The contrast at full aperture really took me by surprise.  But when I looked
for details in the low contrast subject matter, it just wasn't there.  I
consider these results an endorsement of it's frequently cited use as a
portrait lens at full aperture.  But for detailed landscapes, I give the nod
to the 135mm f/4.5 Macro Zuiko.  Routinely carrying the latter in a typical
walkabout outfit is another matter.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV